Pages

Tuesday 11 November 2014

Destroying your 'ego' - come again?

'We have to destroy our ego,' I read today. And it's not the first mention of this mysterious entity I've heard. Mainly they were negative. As if ego was something bad which only troubled people and they would love to get rid of.

That word - ego - doesn't have any meaning to me. It doesn't cover any experience I've had in my life. I know ego means 'self' in Latin, so do people refer to everything that is themselves?

But if that is true, I find such a pronouncement quite disturbing. As you may have noticed, I've written several blog entries against not accepting yourself and wanting to fundamentally change, even be someone else entirely!
I can't but shiver at the thought: those who want destroy themselves (their 'ego'), must have very negative self images, or a very bleak vision on what to expect from life. Destroying yourself isn't a good thing in my eyes…

Chances are that I'm mistaken and I don't know what I'm talking about, for I have no idea what is really meant by 'ego'. 
But still the question rises: why does that ego need to be destroyed or suppressed? Can you help me understand why that would be necessary? For I truly do not get it.

If ego is only an unwanted part of yourself, isn't it a wiser choice to integrate that part in the whole? Giving it a place, even a use, which enriches your life and that of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment